Wednesday, March 20, 2013

MIP: MCP V3 from OpenCockpits

Instead of making the MCP panel on my own I have decided to place an order with OpenCockpits. That was mainly due to high volume of encoders, switches and 7-segment led displays required. Of course, the FSBUS project offers full support for all parts listed above, but I had not time for soldering  :).

In general, there are two different layouts of MCP panels, it's Collins and Honeywell. As you could see below Collins one seems to look more modern, but in real aircraft functionality of both is similar. However, if you wish to obtain  plug'n play unit please look into details as usually not all switches are supported.

    HONEYWELL

    COLLINS (newest)
    (two above screens are taken from ProSim737)

I reviewed a few MCPs available on the market and some have been rejected cause of the price above 1,000 EUR. As I said my choice was V3 from OpenCockpits with white digits, no metallic box (real picture below). Well, I am happy with the quality and I strongly recommend their V3 it's fully functional, easy to configure with ProSim737 via SIOC and relatively cheap, 393 EUR incl. VAT. Real photos below...





7 comments:

  1. hi

    I have a question stuff in backlight
    How do you control the backlight MCP?

    how to connect the product MCP MIP-BRCAP BKI panel
    http://www.opencockpits.com/catalog/mipbrcap-panel-p-426.html?cPath=74_75

    thank you
    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Please ask OpenCockpit if their MCP allows to control the back-light, the version I have got does not. :( So, if you turn it on it is back-lit.

    All other in my cockpit e.g. MIP is supplied via simple circuit, see this link: http://www.electronicspoint.com/attachments/lm317-gif.1680/

    The panel behind the link does not contain any electronics, so you could use the potentiometer (R2) if you build the circuit as above.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Is the encoders slow? Can you spin the knob fast and the numbers will change and update or do you have to be gentle when changing altitude or heading etc?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Is the encoders slow? Can you spin the knob fast and the numbers will change and update or do you have to be gentle when changing altitude or heading etc?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I know what you mean. Yes z encoders are OK and fast. Actually, it is called accelleration and is controlled in the SIOC code. You will like it :-)

      Delete
  5. Hi, I want to buy the newest Version of the MCP by OpenCockpits. But before doing that, I have a question. Does the MCP also work with other aircraft instead of the 737; like with the FSX-Default A321 ???

    I hope to get an answer... :D
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did anyone find the wai ti control the backlit of the MCP V3 modifying the electronics backside ?

    ReplyDelete